The cost of full coverage dental plans varies depending on the type of plan you choose. For example, DPPO and DHMO plans can offer coverage for many types of dental services, but their costs can be quite different.
- Deductible: This is what you pay before your plan begins to pay. Some dental plans have deductibles, like DPPO plans, while many DHMO plans do not.
- Coinsurance: This is the percentage of costs that you and your plan share, usually once you meet your deductible. If your plan doesn’t have a deductible, like a DHMO, you will pay a flat fee for the services you receive.
- Annual maximum: This is the amount your plan agrees to pay for your dental care during the plan year. If you go over that amount, you could be responsible for out-of-pocket costs.
- Premium: This is what you pay monthly for your plan. Some plans, like DPPOs, tend to have a slightly higher premium because they offer you so many options. DHMOs tend to have lower premiums because they have more limitations.
Can You Get Full Coverage Dental Insurance Without A Waiting Period?
Yes, there are full coverage dental plans with no waiting period. A waiting period is a time between the plan start date and the date you are covered for certain types of care.
Oftentimes, a plan will cover preventive care right away but will ask you to wait a while before covering more complex and expensive care. For example, you could get your teeth cleaned when the plan starts, but you could have a wait time before you can get something like a crown.
Can you get full coverage dental insurance without a maximum?
Many types of dental plans set an annual maximum; This is the maximum amount your plan will pay for dental procedures and treatments during the plan year. Dental HMO or DHMO plans generally do not have an annual maximum. This means that you don’t run the risk of running out of profits. DHMOs are convenient for some people, but they offer fewer options.
But you can look for other dental plans with higher annual maximums, which means they cover you a lot more. It is important to anticipate what type of dental care you will need next year and to choose a plan with an annual maximum indicated for you. Or explore the value of a DHMO for a full coverage dental plan.
Where can you buy a full coverage dental plan?
You can get a full coverage dental plan in one of the following ways:
- By enrolling in a dental plan offered by your employer. Your employer may offer you insurance coverage options with a particular insurance company.
- If you don’t have coverage through an employer, you can purchase a full coverage dental plan on your own with a private insurance company or the Health Insurance Marketplace.